Monday 17 August 2009

What does Independence Day mean to you?


This text was flashing in the LCD screen as I waited near the lift in my office building on Aug 15, 2009. Despite being a Saturday, I had to come to the office to start fresh some tasks which had to be demonstrated the coming Wednesday. We are good indeed, known for the last minute rush, huge planning, a chain of workarounds and what not – all of it just a couple of days before any serious presentation. But yes, none of our demos even look like our earlier ones. So here I was again in the office preparing for another demo saga.

Did I miss the main thread here? I remember quite clearly the independence days which I had celebrated in different stages of my life. I’m proud of one thing – I never missed to go to school on an Independence Day or a Republic day. No, it’s not for the laddoo they give, but I really liked to dress up in pure white and stand for the assembly singing all the known patriotic songs in varied languages, to prepare the flags and bands the previous night to wear to school for the occasion, to see all the cultural events in school, repeated year after year – same songs, same dress, same teachers – only the faces of the kids change. Every year new set of Gandhis, Chachajis and Bhagath Singhs adore the stage. Still the feel was great. This day has another advantage that both my mom and dad will be at home when we go back home before lunch from school. After that it was a routine to watch Roja(Tamil) for the nth time.

I vividly remember the day when Ji was participating in a fancy dress and she didn’t have anything ready for the day – leave the costume, we didn’t even have a national flag by 11 O’clock in the morning. One hour of rush, four of us stormed in four directions, got the things, draped her in a white saree, did a li’l make up, I painted the flag in a chart paper and by afternoon our Bharat Mata was ready. This was for a competition organized by the railway school if I remember correctly. She didn’t win a prize but we thoroughly enjoyed the back stage activities.

As years passed, the day became less and less activity filled. There was not even a flag hoisting ceremony in our office. Except for the big images of tricolour in the newspapers and of course a few people wearing it in their wrists, there was apparently no change. It was just another day. This is one of the many things that I miss being one among the geek gang. If I was at home, I would have at least noticed a difference. There would be flag hoisting events in every nook n corner. Thanks to the Indian Railways, they have a divisional office in Palakkad and the associated buildings like the Railway school, The Railway hospital, The IOW, All trade Union offices the list goes on. These are the things in close vicinity to my home and I wouldn’t have missed the occasion. At least not the march past followed by the dog show of the RPF (Railway Protection Force).

Now if I sound like a typical IT employee shamelessly complaining about everything I see and still willingly doing the very same thing, I’m sorry.

With all due respect to the legendary freedom fighters, I salute the nation on its 62nd Independence Day. Jai Hind!

5 comments:

Sree said...

Me too missed it big time!!!myself and my mother-in-law were being too nostalgic abt the I-day celebrations during our school days..we tried getting atleast a flag to pin on our dress..n for ur disbelief..we didnt get one...even from a store near a school..may be its all different these days..they have plastic badges distributed...

At school as Raji mentioned it used to be a months preparation of mass drill,cultural events,quiz,competitions and what not.At home my grandmom used to make payasam for Aug 15th.She didnt miss it this time also...:)

Unknown said...

Happy to note still u could recollect yr happy moments of I-day Celebrations, when I went through yr lines I could feel what all we are missing and had missed. The day we got independence , I was executing my duty penalising people through the roads from Olavakode to Kongad then to Cherpulaseery proceed to Pattambi returned via Ottapalam Pathripala Parli and back To Kannadi collecting total of 49450 as penality on small small errends
Now I feel those chota chota penalites I should have exempted on I-day

r@j! said...

No no ... you shouldn't have exempted. That's another way of celebrating this occassion right. But could have ignored silly mistakes with a lite heart!

Abhinav said...

Of course! typical teacher's pets !!

This in effect reminds me of an book by Sudha Murthy, don't remember the title. It was one of those glorous things you just bump in to.

She too talks about a day in her life, where she observes that no one is actually happy these days. Festivals and occasions which were fondly looked forward to earlier, have little significance these days.

r@j! said...

oh I was waiting for this.., Did i mention anywhere about me being a teachers pet?