Thursday 10 April 2008

Life Abroad ....


My enthu din last a day and my blog went to a long and deep slumber.... but that doesnt mean that I was sleeping as well....

In fact these were the days when a number of unexpected happenings found its way to me...
I found myself shifting places.....meeting so many wonderful people....exploring new things....

so here I am trying to renovate my blog page....

Of late I am realising that I am getting used to the UK culture...Its truly said that ...."when you are in Rome be as a Roman"....
Be it Rome or anywhere else....once you start living there... u start imbibing the culture within you...good or bad ...u will do it knowingly or unknowingly....
When you knowingly absorb the good things...there lies your ability....

I am now in Swindon for the last 2 months.... my maiden stay abroad...and its wonderful...
Staying in a developed country brings with it a lot of sophisticated routines....which are totally new to you...

You get used to muffins, donuts,sandwiches,yogurts....(thats really hard for me...but in this case am lucky ... I have a kitchen with full liberty)...
You start greeting people with a good morning on your way to office....(I cant dream of me saying good morning to a milkman in India....will that make a fool of myself...)
You c dogs getting in everywhere ....from trains....to restaurants...to buses...
You find more pubs than the restaurants....
On a lazy saturday you start out for lunch at 3 and to your dismay you find all the shops closed....
You start acknowleding the departmental store keepers and the bus drivers...

On top of all these there is a great effort put in to twist and turn your english to suit the british style making it worser....

Great britain is infact great in its history...people here value their culture and their history...
All the monuments and soveriegns speak volumes of its history...

It is a place where a newspaper boy and a doctor is treated with the same respect ... each job has its value and people here do their job with dedication... they take up the job which they love and they do it with utmost interest...
There is no fight for a hi-tech jobs...a job here is just a job which brings money and satisfaction when its completed...

Time has its value...we dont find buses or trains running much late...

The oldies would love their old age.... they are treated with due respect...and are provided with all basic things apart from the regular pocket money from the govt...

this and much more ....its a different world here....

But...still you feel at home when you c ur familiar chat stalls....street dogs....noisy horns....autowallahs screams...crows and cows anywhere and everywhere....overcrowded buses...semi tarred roads with lots of holes....
Thats where you belong and thats where you can be yourself....

Yes ...I am missing my place....my people...

2 comments:

ജയന്ത് said...

Well said......... Too good...

Namitha said...

Hey thats so true!!!I still remember saying 'thankyou'to the BMTC driver who dropped me till madiwala,just less than a week after return from uk, and he gave me a wierd gaze!!!

But where in UK did u manage to find autowallas??:)))